Jun 21, 2008

The Dreaded Day

Since Sara was born, I knew there was going to be a day that she hurt herself badly, not being able to protect herself with her arms when she fell. Yesterday was the day. She has been walking for a couple of months, and has taken some falls, but has not seriously hurt herself...until yesterday. We were walking outside on the sidewalk. I was close to her, but not close enough. She stumbled over her shoes and fell from the sidewalk down onto the street. Her head was the first thing that hit. I saw her fall like it was in slow motion, but just couldn't get to fast enough. I immediately picked her up and paced frantically for several minutes, then looked for where she had hurt herself. I didn't see it at first, but then noticed a HUGE bump like a large marble on the top of her forehead, near her hairline. I pretty much totally freaked out and called Rich at work. I then went to my neighbor's house who is a pediatric nurse. She assured me that Sara would be fine, but I was terrified. Rich rushed home from work and I began to calm down. I called nurse advice and was advised to take her to see her pediatrician that day, though I didn't need to take her to the ER. After about an hour, Sara's bump went down a bit, and you'd never know that anything happened! She was acting totally normal. I was a wreck for the whole day, crying off and on and my anxiety was through the roof. I felt so inadequate to be her mother and the stress was overwhelming. What a bad day.

Lord, please protect Sara. Please protect her.

2 comments:

Jessilyn said...

Aw Lori...so sorry to hear that she fell down, but praise the Lord she didn't break anything and that she is able to walk :) Hope you are having a better day today!

Anonymous said...

I'm just now reading this and it just broke my heart. Poor Sara and poor you. You are such a good Mommy!