Jul 9, 2010

Highway 1






We left Pismo Beach (well, technically it was Grover Beach where we stayed) and headed up Highway 1 to Big Sur, our next destination. I had much anxiety about Highway 1, especially in the RV because I heard how curvy it was. I was very pleased and pleasantly surprised at how open and flat and straight the Highway was as we began our journey. We stopped at an elephant seal viewing site at one point. On our way into the parking lot, we went from pavement to dirt, a bump, but nothing major, nothing to jolt us or even scare us. However, after we went over the bump, a light came on indicating some kind of engine trouble. Unconcerned, we got out and enjoyed looking at the elephant seals. It was so fun watching them come in and out of the ocean, spread dirt on their backs, lay motionless in the sand, and "wrestle" with one another.

After our photography session/observation, we hopped back in the RV and once again headed north...well, sort of. After a mile or so, it was very obvious that all was not well. The RV was not changing gears. It was stuck in (we think) third gear. We found a safe place to pull over and Rich got out the manual to see what the light meant. Oh, yes, that light means that the computer system basically shut down the transmission and gave us "a" gear to get to a transmission dealer ASAP. Uuh, seriously? Obviously the computer did not know that we were literally in the middle of nowhere...about 100 (north or south) from a mechanic who could take a look at the transmission. After about two hours, some phone calls to mechanics (thank God for cell phones...and service where we were), and lots of prayer, we decided to continue north instead south. After all, the highway was so nice...

After about 5 minutes of travel, the nice, open, straight, flat highway that I was so fond of, turned into a tiny, windy, curvy, steep highway. I hoped (in vain) that it was just a "section," but no. If we knew what lied ahead, we would've opted to go south, but it was too late now. We travelled along this death-defying highway for about 60 miles...all the way to Big Sur. It was like driving up and down steep mountain roads...with the cliff and vast ocean ever present directly below. One gear or all gears, I would've been terrified. That's my thing. I HATE driving along cliffs. Especially in the RV.

After what seemed like 2 days (but was only about 1 and a half hours), we arrived at our campground. So, here I sit, 2 days later. Alive and well. At the bottom of a big hill we had to come down to get here. Since we arrived, that big hill has been looming in my mind...we have to go up that big hill to get out of this beautiful campground. The adventure will continue in my next post. Will we make it up the big hill? Will we make it to Salinas safely? Will the mechanic there be able to fix the computer problem? Stay tuned.

4 comments:

Chanda Paz said...

Oooh, I am in suspense! :) We were just in Grover Beach about 3 weeks ago!! Love it! Talk to you soon!

Anonymous said...

Hello. Facebook takes a [url=http://www.onlineblackjack.gd]online blackjack[/url] bet on 888 casino furnish: Facebook is expanding its efforts to mention real-money gaming to millions of British users after announcing a sell with the online gambling found search for 888 Holdings.And Bye.

Anonymous said...

|
six. A essential attribute For every eFFective promotion campaign is repetition – your organization may not have the marketing resources oF an Intel (their “Intel InsiFe” campaign Far exceeFeF their promoting goals) but you are Foing neeF [url=http://www.germanylovelv.com/]Louis Vuitton Outlet/[/url]
repeat your message anF reinForce the branFing anF market awareness by touching your market segment via multiple reinForcing promotion processes; i.e. search engine ranking, print, opt-in e-mail, raFio/TV, sponsorship buttons, newsletter inserts, etc.
|

Anonymous said...

[url=http://longchampsoldesk.angelfire.com/]sacs longchamps[/url] With SCEI I can't recall any of those issues. I'm not sure what other stuff you might be referring to as inside information. fyi - I'm not going to copy GEO stuff for you.. I probably used it 5 times when I was nursing my daughter. My son was born in 2009 and I did not return to work until he was 13 months old. I hate pumping and was rarely Purchase Vogue Mulberry Aston Natural Leather Messenger Bag Light Coffee for Men,latest released Mulberry bags Outlet save up 67%! away from him.
[url=http://longchamppaschers.wallinside.com/]longchamp soldes[/url] It was during the first treatment with Mike when I realised that my body had indeed 'forgotten' that I had anything wrong with my knee. As it is with many chronic problems, the brain/body seems to 'give up' on the problem and doesn't Online shop offers the widest selection of Highly Appreciated Mulberry Women's Standard Bayswater Leather Shoulder Black Bag at competitive prices while providing a safe and personalized service to each customer. recognise it as needing repair. The Acuscen 'woke' up my brain to the fact that it was neglecting my knee and it took over 30 minutes of concentrated work just on my left knee to get the healing energy flowing again.
[url=http://www.nexopia.com/users/longchampplia/blog]longchamp soldes[/url] Fashion needs all the sales help it Buy soft leather Mulberry Women's Bayswater Leather Satchel Black Bag at auction has come to the stage of a pack can get these days. "Buyers are definitely skittish and price-conscious," says designer Rebecca Taylor, 38, a 10-year veteran of Fashion Week. "People are not buying as many things as they once were, and what they're buying is versatility - like a T-shirt that is beaded so they can wear it with jeans or black pants.". Just single craftsman can undertaking at entire Hermes luggage at a at any rate time. Handbaseshop. Hermes clutches are unspeakable priced because of their out of reach of and attained craftsmanship. Every feather have their unique features to add to boas style and shape. Feather boas are great for parties and social events. Large and fluffy feather boas give a sophisticated look to any outfits..