Aug 5, 2010

Getting Ready For Preschool



Today was Sara's first day of preschool...well, sort of. After much discussion, consideration, and prayer, we felt like the best place for Sara to thrive and grow (and offer us, the parents, the most sanity), was at the same little Christian school that Anna and Ryan attend. Sara was so excited that she could hardly sleep last night. Early this morning, she came in with a sleepy voice saying, "Mom, I'm ready to go to school!" So, with a heavy backpack filled with the toys of her choice and a lunch box half as big as she was, we were on our way.

We had a little "practice" day to see how Sara navigated the room and also to give the teachers a chance to observe her. When we got inside the classroom, she was off and running...literally. All the little girls were sitting and playing with doll houses and ponies, but Sara got into the mix of boys who were running around! This is where she feels the most successful-anything that involves using her strong legs and talkative voice. She painted for a couple minutes, but quickly became frustrated and was off and running.

Today was a huge milestone for us. I'm scared, concerned, worried over many things. I was sitting next to two little boys who conversing, saying, "Could you imagine if no one in the world had hands?" I don't think they even noticed that Sara's hands were different (they probably didn't even notice her in the room). Sara has not (yet) had the experience of any negative attention to her arms and hands, but it's bound to come. We will teach her how to respond to kids who wonder about her hands. I hope and pray that it's a long time before I have to wipe away tears that come from teasing. My heart breaks just thinking about it.

I know that Sara will face some challenges. I know there will be a lot of trial and error. I'm so thankful for a school staff that has welcomed us and Sara with open arms and enthusiasm.

Since the day Sara was born, I have had so many questions, concerns, doubts, over so so many things. Every single time, I look up. I'm reminded that we are not left alone. Ever. We will be challenged over the next couple of years, I'm sure, but no doubt, there will grace enough to cover us. To cover her.

So, come September 9th, Sara will be on her way.

Lord, cover Sara with your favor and grace, I know you already have. Give us wisdom, as her parents, to do what is best for her always.

No comments: