Mar 10, 2014

LA Marathon 2014

Several years ago, I was studying the World Vision website, longing to do more.  I remember thinking how neat it would be to run in a marathon for Team World Vision.  I didn't think about it for too long, because I'm not a runner, and didn't even know how I would get on the team.

One or two years ago, our church started partnering with World Vision, specifically for work in the Congo, Africa.  Last fall, the congregation was invited to run in the LA Marathon to help raise funds for clean water for the communities that that our church supports through World Vision in the Congo.
I was nervous, but knew it was an opportunity to do something, so I responded.  Fast forward 6 months, and here I am today-having completed my first half-marathon running for Team World Vision!

Finishing 13.1 miles, photograph compliments of Rich-nice composition sweetheart : )

The training and the fundraising were both hard.  The actual half marathon was hard too.  But none of it was so hard that I would not consider doing it again.  I would, and I probably will.

Here are the stats:

March 9, 2014

Time:  2:39:27
Distance:  13.1 miles
Average minutes/mile:  12:19


My long list of thank you's:

Thank you Rich for inspiring me to get out an run!  Your commitment to bike riding and good health has been inspiring!  Thank you for your encouragement and, of course, for dressing me well and making sure I had all the right/best equipment for running.  Thank you for getting up early and driving me Dodger Stadium, then coming back to get the kids and bringing them Hollywood to meet me at the finish line!  You have always taken good care of me.  I love you!

Thank you mother for being my biggest cheerleader!!!  I know you are proud of me!

Thank you Anna, Ryan, and Sara for not complaining about the amount of time it took for me to run….and run…and run.  You 3 also have a heart for the oppressed and were a huge part of changing lives in Africa too!  Thank you Anna for babysitting your sister (next year it's you and me!).

My sweet family right after I finished running (Ryan is saying, "Eew, mom, you touched me with your sweaty arm!)


Thank you to everyone who gave:
Mother
Lisa
Jeana and family
Mrs. McKim
Beverly
Cathy
Rick and Brenda
Deanna
Mary
Michele and family
Rich and Belinda
Binh
Steve
Lorie

Together we raised $790.00!  



Here are some of my Facebook posts from the last several  months:

March 9, 2014
Good morning from Dodger Stadium!

March 8, 2014
I have crazy generous friends!! Thank you all so much for your support! I am about to tip over $800 in funds given in my behalf to provide clean water to for the Congolese people! Thanks to you, children will be attending school instead of fetching water. Women and children will be able to skip the dangerous route to water holes. Lives will be saved. Because of you. 

I have been an excited/nervous ball of energy all day today. I hope I'm able to get some sleep tonight. Please keep me and the other 24,999 runners in your prayers, for feet/ankles/knees that will hold up and for a strong mind. Please pray for our safety and for everyone to be able to finish the race.

Thank you!!!!


March 7, 2014
Proud to be a part of Team World Vision-Rolling Hills

Yay!!!

March 3, 2014
I have 6 more miles to run this week to complete my training. On Sunday, I will run in the Marathon. That leaves me 5 days left to fund-raise before my personal page disappears. It has been a journey, and I'm tired. But as I've said many times, it's worth it. What we are doing is making a difference. On Sunday, I will proudly wear my bright orange World Vision jersey, representing all who gave- knowing that we are a part of something bigger-- part of a story that is unfolding in another country. Together, we are making a difference.

Thank you so so much to everyone who has made contributions to World Vision on my behalf—it means more than you know! I started training for the Marathon in September. I feel stronger. I have learned things about myself. I have talked to God more than ever (running in pain tends to do that!) not only for myself and my family, but for the communities in Africa. I boldly prayed that every family in Africa will have access to clean water some day soon. We're headed in the right direction, thanks to many of you! Thank you!


February 22, 2014
9.4 miles this afternoon. Rich and the girls joined me for the last 3.5 miles. It's so much better running with someone! 2 weeks till marathon!

February 16, 2014
When you support Team World Vision, this is how your $$ is making a difference! It's so exciting!

Last week I was able to fit in all of my training runs during the week. It was really hard running during the week (finding time and TOTALLY not being in the mood to run), but worth it because my 9 mile run on Saturday was almost a breeze.

Tomorrow starts a new week with a new outlook on my long weekday training runs. Thank you so so so much to everyone who has supported me financially through making donations. It makes a huge difference in my moral as I put in the hours of running—and a huge difference in the lives that you are saving/improving when you provide clean water. I have 21 more days (yikes!!) to train and raise funds until the Marathon! Please consider changing someones life by donating today! Thank you!!


February 15
9 miles today 😀

February 8, 2014
The LA Marathon is 1 month from tomorrow! Today I learned that Team World Vision is 800 runners strong in the LA Marathon this year! So far, TWV LA has raised $275,000 for clean water! That's a quarter of a million dollars!! When you donate, you are part of something much bigger that will impact the lives of others forever!

My 8 mile run was exhilarating today because I was able to run with the team. Seeing so many runners in their orange World Vision running tees offered strength and encouragement all along the way. Go Team World Vision!!

If you have not already done so, please consider making a donation. I am close to reaching my goal of raising $50.00 per mile. Any donation amount is appreciated and beneficial. Thank you so much!!


February 6, 2014
My 7 mile run was hard today. It was painful. And slow. And windy. But worth it.

I made the first contribution to provide clean water for someone for life. If 3 more people step up and do the same, I will make the last donation and meet my goal of raising $650.00 for clean water! Who's in??


January 26, 2013
It didn't hurt much until about 5.5 miles. I think I'll be ready in 42 days!  (This was in regard to my first 10k in a loooong time!)

Want to provide clean water for one person for life? Click below! 


January 11, 2014
Just finished 6.4 miles with my relay partner Wendy. I'm hungry.

January 9, 2014
Today I set two new personal records: Fastest 5K at 30 minutes, 51 seconds, and fastest pace of 11:45 minute miles for 3.5 miles! It must have been the water ; )

I will miss my mid-morning runs when I go back to work next week.

January 6, 2014
As many of you know, I am running for Team World Vision in the LA Marathon on March 9, 2014. I have set up a personal page to keep people updated on my training progress and invite people to make a donation to help bring hope to people in the Congo, Africa. Rich and I became involved with World Vision shortly after we got married, over 15 years ago. We have sponsored children for many years, but I always knew that I wanted to do more. When I was invited to run for Team World Vision to help provide clean water, I nervously and excitedly jumped at the opportunity. I hope that you will join me in making a difference in the precious lives of the Congolese people!

December 6, 2013
Plenty of beautiful distractions on my run today!

No comments: