Jun 9, 2006

Shampoo, toilet paper, and a clogged drain

Usually, I clean up the house a bit while my children are bathing, which usually isn't a big deal except for the wet floor, and sometimes, wet clothes. Tonight, I was feeling especially thankful (and a bit proud) that my children were old enough now to bathe themselves independently. After their bath, I heard them get out of the bath and change into their pajamas, just as usual. Then, I heard the bath water running again and became curious. I questioned why they were running the water and they replied, "because we have to clean out the bubbles." Instantly, many questions and concerns ran through my head. Did they get there own bubble bath? Why were there so many bubbles that they would need to clean them out? Why were they in the bath so long? Why are they so busy cleaning up when I usually have to remind them? OK, just calm down-remember they're just children... I walked up the stairs to find at least 3 wet towels, wet toilet paper on the floor, wet toilet paper in the trash, an entire roll of toilet paper outside the bathroom door, washcloths scattered about, an almost empty bottle of shampoo, and the bathtub half full of water and bubbles with the drain stopper out of the drain. I took in the sight and interrogated for answers. Apparently, my sweet children thought it would be fun to have an enormous bubble bath. When impulse control finally kicked in (20 minutes later) and they realized what they had done, they tried to clean everything "so mom wouldn't be mad." Ryan thought it would be a good idea to clean up the left-over bubbles in the bath by unraveling two rolls of toilet paper to absorb the bubbles left in the bath. When that didn't work, Anna turned on the water to "clean" the bubbles out. Hence, a bubble bath and a drain clogged with toilet paper. Needless to say, mom was a bit upset. I can't believe my children would do this! Surely they knew better. What were they thinking?... As these (and other) thoughts were going through my mind (my children already in tears), God reminded me that they were just children, His children, and He creates curious children. As I was asking God how I should handle this situation, Anna asked through her tears if I would forgive her. With that question, whatever exasperation I was holding on to released and peace and inner-laughter filled it's place. Tonight all three of us experienced what it's like to truly be forgiven.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness... that is hilarious! What a sight that must have been... hehe.