Aug 8, 2009

Big Dogs and Thoughts About Bend

So, here's the story: We were in the ever-so-quaint area of downtown Bend. Rich pulled into a parking spot, then, after deciding we didn't want to eat at the restaurant, Rich needed to back out. There was a very large truck parked beside us, so Rich asked if I would get out and help him back up since he couldn't see the traffic coming. When I got out and started walking behind the car, two ENORMOUS St. Bernard dogs started barking at me from about 2 feet away from the back of the truck beside us. I didn't see them prior to their terrorizing, and I thought I was going to have a heart attack as I ran around to Rich's side of the car! They sounded so mean and loud. The owner came out to see what his dogs were "fussing" about, and I'm sure he was saying "good dogs" under his breath as he patted their noses and walked back into the restaurant, not apologizing or anything. It seriously took about 10 minutes for my heart to stop pounding out of my chest! Note to self: practice self-awareness.

This is the first time we've been to Bend, and it's not what we expected. It's high desert-I thought it was lush, but it's actually dry with desert landscape mixed with a lot of cedar trees. It's very beautiful, just not what we expected. The drive to Bend lead us to believe that the entire area of totally lush, but the landscape dramatically changed when we were beyond the Cascades. It's been a wonderful retreat, as we've spent most of the time at the RV park hanging out rather than just coming in to sleep, then going out again like we have been doing. We've been gone for two weeks now, and we're starting to get a little tired and homesick.

No comments: