Apr 11, 2010

Longing for heaven





Anna and I had a wonderful time at the mother/daughter retreat. We stayed in a cute little cabin (11 C). It was so nice to just relax and spend time together. Anna's friend from last year was there again this year plus we made more friends. For me, the best part of the weekend were the meals that we ate together, simply enjoying each other's company-friends, who somehow feel like family-sisters in Christ. I was so proud of Anna-she walked across a log about 40 feet up in the air (harnessed, of course). She was so afraid, but with encouragement, she was able to walk across!! On the last day, I went down the mountain and picked up Ryan and Sara so they could see where we were (Rich was only an hour away with the RV for a r/c race). Our plan was to go play in the snow about 13 miles from where we stayed, but the weather turned really foggy and rainy, so se weren't able to go. It was so much fun having all 3 kids up there...I think we'll be going back in a couple weeks to help the camp staff get the camp cleaned up for summer camps!

The speaker, Judi Hamilton, spoke about "growing up" in Christ, as in getting out the "nursery" and becoming a maturing, growing Christian. One thing that she said this weekend really impressed upon me. I don't remember exactly what she said, but I left with the feeling that, simply put, so many things that I long for will never be satisfied on this side of heaven: The best city to live in, the perfect home, the curiosities of what this or that would be like... all the things that I seek to bring me satisfaction- these things are really a longing for heaven-my search for lasting satisfaction is something that does not exist here. Of course I knew in my head before that this was true, but the way that she said it really made it sink into my heart.

So I came back down the mountain with a renewed view and miraculous contentment of my home, my job, my family, my "things," and was once again reminded that I'm not home yet!

Lord, I can't wait!

No comments: