Apr 19, 2010

Grace For Today

This post was shared by one of my Facebook friends who has arthrogryposis. The gal in the video has arthrogryposis in her upper extremities only, like Sara. She made the video because she has a baby. She takes care of the baby by herself during the day, as many moms do, some things are more difficult for her, but it seems like she can pretty much do and provide for her baby the way other moms do.

It is often hard for me to see "grown ups" with arthrogryposis. Since day one, it was very clear that the Lord has given me enough grace only for today. The fear and confusion was overwhelming and very early on I could hear the Lord speaking to my heart, saying, "Stop looking around you so much and just look toward me." In my mind, I envision my head turning from one direction to the other in confusion and fear, but then I look up and the confusion and fear disappear and I am left with the comfort, peace, and grace for today...the moment.

Honestly, I'm tearful as I watch the video, yet rejoicing for her at the same time. The confusion and fear is always present when I try to look beyond today and tomorrow. I know without a doubt that when that day comes for Sara (Lord willing, of course), there will be an abundance of grace for that time. I could see so much of Sara in the woman in the video-the way she uses her feet (in fact, Sara tried snapping the very same snaps on one of her pj's a while back), the way she positions her body to pick up "heavy" things with her arms, the way she plays with spoons in her feet. The same enthusiastic "what's the big deal" attitude this mom has is the one Sara has also.

I'm so proud of Sara. I'm proud of who she is, I'm so proud of her arms and hands. I'm proud of the inspiration she is to our family. I'm proud of the things that she can accomplish with hands. I'm so proud of the things that she can do with her feet. I'm proud of the inspiration she is to other people. I'm proud of how she interacts with everyone as if her hands work just as well as theirs.

This mom is amazing. I'm proud of her, too. I love her attitude. I'm not sure how to post the video directly to my blog, but click below for the link.

Lord, thank you for grace. For pouring out your grace abundantly on Sara and on our family. You are with us, I know for sure. She is in your hands, we are in your hands. What a gift. You are so good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, you have truly told