Apr 30, 2010

Just Perfect

I'm naive and idealistic. I was just born that way, I guess. In some ways, my naive/idealistic outlook has allowed me to accomplish many of my goals. However, over the years, this outlook has also has caused much disappointment. As I get older, I'm coming to realize that idealism is just that-idealistic, not realistic. In all my pursuits for idealism in my mate, my home, my children, my job, my environment, and myself, there has also been much anxiety and frustration in trying to accomplish something that does not exist here: perfection, or at least something like it.

Thoughts have been swirling around in my mind for the past few weeks about this and I must say, there is relief and satisfaction in knowing that my anxious pursuit for everything to be just right all the time can finally cease. The primary thought that keeps swirling around is, "In this world, you will have trouble..." And the miraculous part? I'm OK with it now. I'm learning to accept imperfections and disappointments more readily. I'm learning to extend grace to those closest to me. I'm learning to just let it go already and be content and thankful for the blessings I've been given. I'm learning to let God be God.

I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.
John 16:33

No comments: