Sep 13, 2010

The Real Deal



Today was Sara's for-real first day of preschool. Not just a couple of hours in a protected "theraputic" environment like her other school, this one is the real deal. She was SO excited to finally get to go. I had to work, so Rich had the more difficult job of saying "bye" to her in the classroom. Rich's text to me said it all: "She's a pro. Not a tear...just me."

I spent the day thinking about her and praying for her, wondering if she was happy, wondering how she was doing with the different activities. Was she being assertive and asking for help or asking if she could use her feet? It took lots of will not to just leave and go get her and bring her home.



My heart raced with a sense of urgency when I finally left work to go pick her up. When I got there, she had just waken up from her nap and was still groggy and cranky. Even in her crankiness though, she nodded her head that she had a fun day at school! She gave bits and pieces of her experience throughout the afternoon and evening. At bed time the conversation turned to her hands. Out of the blue, she commented that her fingers went "down." When I asked if the kids said anything about her hands she replied that they said, "What's wrong with your hands?" I true Sara fashion, she sincerely responded, "I don't know" which is a common response to questions most of the time, even when she knows the answer! She did not seem upset or sad about it, just matter-of-fact. After role-playing what to say next time, I tucked her in and kissed her face and arms, telling her how special she was and how special her hands were. We're both looking forward to another day of preschool tomorrow!




No comments: