A huge contrast with today. Today, I'm at my wit's end. Anna and Ryan have been arguing with each other and treating each other un-lovingly and disrespectfully for over 2 years now. This "slow fade" seemed to have begun sometime after Sara was born. Around that same time, Rich started to work full time, the kids started weekly activities, and the kids' different personalities really started to emerge, and I started to spend more time in the world of photography, not to mention, all my time and attention they had to share with Sara. Also around that time, they were outgrowing their little children's bible books, but balked at reading from the Bible, so our nightly habit of scripture and prayer also slowly faded away.
Tonight, I told Anna and Ryan that they will have to give up their own space and share a room together if they keep up their attitudes toward one another. Needless to say, they both went to bed quite upset. It's time to stop the "slow fade" for them and for us as a family. I can't get the Casting Crowns song out of my head..."It's a slow fade when you give yourself away, it's a slow fade when black and white turn to gray...people never crumble in a day...families never crumble in a day..." We need to make better choices as a family. Rich and I have an idea of where to start, the hard part is being consistent, but, knowing that we cannot do it on our own, we humbly fall before the One who has been there all along.
Father, I pray for the restoration of love and respect between Anna and Ryan. I pray for gentleness and humility to be the signature of our family. As I cry out to you, I pray that you will deliver us from our distress and shield us from the evil one as we draw near to you. Give Rich and I wisdom to help Anna and Ryan to develop who they are in you. Help us to be good leaders and guides and give Anna (and especially) Ryan ears to hear and a heart to understand as we try to guide them down the narrow path of righteousness that you have set before them and before us as a family. In this, I know you will be faithful, help us to be faithful also.
Then they cried out to the Lord in their trouble, and he delivered them from their distress.
Psalm 107:6
No comments:
Post a Comment