Jul 22, 2011

Laying Low

Lots has been going on, but the motivation to post has been minimal.  We're all off for summer vacation, which is great!  I had a very rough school year and couldn't have been happier that it finally ended.  The first thing we did was go to Las Vegas where we met my mom (she flew in from FL) and then my niece flew in a few days later from Seattle.  After a several days in Vegas visiting with my sister (who was in the process of moving from Vegas to FL), we drove back to our house with my mom and niece.  Wow, that sounds confusing.

We had a lovely week with my mom and niece.  The highlight was taking the RV down to Legoland for the day.  We were all able to swim in the new water park that opened there, which was a blast...especially for Sara because there was a large pool/play area/slides that was just her size.  The older kids played on the big slides and my mom floated around in the lazy river all day (While Rich took a nap in the RV-nice!).

The week after my mom and niece visited, we went to VBS where we learned that "God is wild about you."  It was a fun week, as usual, and we all learned more about God's incredible love for us.  We love VBS.  I helped out in Sara's class and Anna helped out with me since she is "too old" for VBS now that she's in sixth grade.

I'm working a bit this summer, which has been fine, in fact, I am enjoying it!  I'm providing counseling services to kids who are going to summer school and have counseling services as part of their IEP.  I wish I could work part time all the time! I also served at jury duty recently, which was both stressful and boring at the same time.  I was dismissed from having to sit in the jury because of my kiddos, which was a relief.

I have been doing photography sessions when I have the time.  I'm happy to see Anna with a camera (my old D70) in her hands almost on a daily basis.  She is learning to edit and organize in photoshop which is keeping her quite busy!  Many of her photographs are very nice! So far, it appears that she enjoys taking pictures of cats and other animals (turtles, birds, and such) as well as flowers.

Anna is taking ballet lessons through the summer and Ryan is taking karate and guitar lessons.  Ryan will be going away by himself (yikes!) for  a week to summer camp soon...Anna's not quite ready to be without her mama for week.  Sara is just hanging out, waiting until she gets to go back to preschool.  She misses her friends, although we randomly saw one of her preschool friends at the park, so it was nice that she got to have a little impromptu play date.

I've read a couple of books so far, Castaway Kid by R B Mitchell and Global Soccer Mom by Shayne Moore.  Both books, along with many of the blogs that I read,  have inflamed the continuous fire in my soul to "do justice, love mercy, and walk humbly with my God," to do what tiny, minute actions I can take to help alleviate the suffering for the oppressed and vulnerable.   I have some simmering ideas...

That's about all that's going on now.  In the coming weeks, we will be going to San Diego and of course our annual trip to Mammoth Lakes.  Till then...

No comments: