Aug 5, 2011

He's home

Ryan has been away at summer camp for the last week.  Today he finally came home.  It was a looong week, wondering if he was OK, if his asthma was bad, if he was staying warm at night (they slept in tipis). It was very different at home without him there.  I missed our evening chats before he goes to sleep, I missed watching him "bust his moves" randomly during the day.  I missed the timer going off when his video game time is over.  I just missed him.

I was in a rush to pick up Ryan because I had to pick up Anna from VBS at the same time I needed to pick up Ryan from church.  Of course, I hit every single red light, got stuck behind every slow vehicle,  and yielded to 5 emergency vehicles...it seemed like a very long drive to pick him up.  When I finally arrived, Ryan ran to me and squeezed me tightly-very uncharacteristic of my independent boy.  Unexpected tears arrived and I squeezed him back as tightly as I could.  It was a very sweet moment.

Sara was also very excited to see her brother.  She smothered him with kisses all afternoon.  Before long, the arguing and bickering between Anna and Ryan was back to normal, witch surprisingly, was a sweet, blessed sound.  All of my chicks are back under my wings.

Ryan had a great time at camp.  His favorite part was learning about the biggest star known to man.  He also loved the independence he felt (of course!) and all the other fun stuff kids do at camp.  He is looking forward to going back again next year.  For his sake, so am I.

No comments: