Sep 22, 2012

Mammoth Part 1: Spot 140


We went to Mammoth a little late this year.  We weren't able to go during the summer, so we took a long weekend and made it up on the last weekend of the mountain biking season.  It was so lovely to head up-especially when temps. were setting records in LA.  We left mid-day which means that we didn't get up to Mammoth until after dark.  We decided to take the RV up instead of tent camp this year and we decided to stay at a campsite that we both had seen before from the main road, but had never stayed.  So, after unsuccessfully attempting one or two tight spaces, we found one that looked just right.  The little sign said "Open" on spot 140, so Rich backed in with ease a certain amount of anxiety.  It was very dark and he was relying only on my judgement (anyone who knows me and my "awareness"...or lack thereof...would understand why this would cause Rich a lot of anxiety!)

 We were relieved to finally be there, but just after we got settled, Anna noticed a tent in the same camping area of our RV.  It was so dark.  Rich was spent after a long drive and the parking debacle, so we decided to wait until the tent occupants showed up instead of move.  After about 1/2 hour they showed up and knocked on our door.  Rich asked if they wouldn't mind if we stayed just until first thing in the morning so he could see what he was doing when he moved to another spot.  They were very understanding (thank you God!) and said it was no problem; in fact, they were headed further up the mountain the next morning, so we could just keep the spot-which turned out to be a GREAT campsite!  We offered to pay for the camp site for the night, but they said no.  The whole thing was a huge blessing.

Even though we had been staying at the same campground every year (except one or two) since 1998, we quickly fell in love with our "new" campsite.  It was close to town, but felt very out-in-the-woods.  We decided to stay close to town because we did not pull a car!  Our mode of transportation for 3 days was either biking around town or taking the shuttle.  I knew I was out of shape...but wow...I really need to go find some hills to walk (or run) up before we decide to bike around town at 7000 ft. again!

Site 140 faced the woods and it was very quiet and relaxing!  The last night we were there, we saw a bear.  I'm sure he smelled our marshmallows!  He was headed straight for us, but turned a bit when we all started to freak out and run for the RV.  I'm so glad Rich saw him from the RV window--the kids and I were all out making s'mores and who knows how close he would have come before I noticed (See?  I have very poor awareness!).  Anyway, here a few shots from site 140 at our new favorite campground.

Sara's "poking stick"
Ryan's favorite part of camping-playing with fire!  Notice his great boy-scout firewood set-up!


Anna, did you know you have a monkey on your head?






Between the emotion and how quickly it all happened, I couldn't focus the bear quickly enough...but you get the gist!

He was at the next campsite over after heading toward ours!  



Ni Hao Yall

5 comments:

Hannah said...

What a fun getaway...right up until the bear :) You did a better job capturing him than I would have, I would have been too busy running away!

Joolz said...

OMG, I would've been SCREAMING if I saw that bear! Main reason why I am afraid to go camping (tent). But looks like you guys had fun and that fire is nice indeed!

Gina Kleinworth said...

Oh how I love these!!!!! Mammoth is one of our favorite spots. We actually almost moved to June Lake a couple years ago. Hubs grew up near Tahoe so being in the Sierra Nevadas (bears & all) makes him happy.

Stefanie said...

YIKES! I'd have been too scared to go for my camera. So glad y'all were okay, looks like one memorable trip, for sure ;)
Thanks for joining in Sunday Snapshot this week!

likeschocolate said...

Bringing back memories of childhood vacations spent in camping in California. We were dumb and threw marshmallows to the bears.