Since we were so impressed with the Du Pont Hospital, my mom and I became quite curious about the Du Pont family. We learned a lot from books (The Ronald McDonald house had shelves of books, some of which were about the history of the city) and the internet. On our last day, after Sara's last appointment, we went to a Museum to learn more the beginnings of the Du Pont legacy. They came over from France and started a gunpowder factory. The Du Pont grandson, A. I. Du Pont was a philanthropist (among many other things) and started a foundation from which the Du Pont Children's Hospital started. There were many Du Pont related things to see (mansions, gardens, estates...), but we only had time to see this one, which was spectacular! It's called The Hagley Museum (The Hagley family owned the property prior to the Du Ponts') So much history....so little time!
 |
| The Museum. I'm not sure if this structure was part of the original property...I don't think it was. |
 |
| The first house the Du Pont family built after moving to America. We toured the inside of the home, but no photos were allowed. |
 |
| The view from the home's balcony |
I could have stayed and photographed all day long. There was so much more on the property than these few pictures. We just didn't have much time or we would have missed our flights!
This was the end of our trip. It was such a very lovely time. It was hard being away from Rich and the older kids for so long, but the trip, especially the time with my mom, was an experience I will always remember!
No comments:
Post a Comment