I can't say enough about how impressed I was with the Du Pont Children's Hospital and Ronald McDonald House in Wilmington, Delaware. It was intimidating going to a place so far away from home, not really knowing at all what to expect. The staff and volunteers at the RMH were beyond wonderful. The House itself was very comfortable, clean, completely and totally kid-friendly, and enormous. It was very touching and humbling to be on the receiving end of the charity. It makes me want to give more because I was able to experience the love and generosity of others. Staying there was truly a blessing. There was just something about it...the kindness and care of the staff, volunteers and interns was just oozing all over the place! I felt very blessed. The staff at the hospital were a big group of intelligent, kind, and caring people. To work with families and children every. single. day. and still treat each one as if the entire hospital was built just for them...not just how they treated Sara, but how they treated all the children...it was sweet indeed.
Sara's first appointment was for casting. She had to lay on a 1 inch rope while they casted her chest. She was pretty nervous about the whole thing, but did beautifully in spite of her anxiety. She's my hero. After they casted her chest and sawed it off, they casted her arms, which was no biggy for her, she's so used to having her arms and hands messed with. After it was all done, they wanted to put a hand print on the wall with all the others. Sara was quick to ask if she could use her foot instead! I loved that her foot print is on the wall with all the hands—that's her life! While (most) everyone else uses their hands, Sara uses her feet. She loves her feet and is quite proud of how much she can do with them and how strong they are!
After a day, Sara had another appointment for the fitting. I was quite nervous at first because I can't even keep wrist splints on her without her complaining. The casting/engineering staff took such great care to make sure it was fitted comfortably on that day. When Sara first put it on, she loved it! I wish had a picture of the big smile on her face when she brought her face the first time-it was priceless!! I cannot say enough how much of a blessing the entire experience was for us all!
![]() |
| It was pouring down snow on the day of her first appointment. This was outside of the hospital. |
![]() |
| Walking around the front of the hospital right after she received the WREX |
![]() |
| Thank you so much!!! |








1 comment:
Congratulations to Sara! I've heard a lot about the WREX but I haven't had the chance to see one yet. I like the wall with the hands and footprints. I cried when I looked and realized that those are little arthrogrypotic hands and that I know quite a few of them. Thanks for posting the pictures.
Post a Comment