Aug 1, 2008

Proud Mama

How could a mom be so proud of her child? I've been proud of my kids over and over again, but there is something very special about having a child with special needs. It's something that not all parents have the opportunity to experience, and is definitely a gift given, the other side of the coin of having a child with a disability. Today Sara learned how to "squat" down and pick up things for herself. Before, when she was holding something with her weak grasp and would drop it, she would come and get me and I would follow her to what she wanted me to pick up for her. But today, she learned to pick it up for herself! For me, it's a huge milestone and months ago, weeks ago, days ago even, it was only a dream of mine that she would one day be able to do it for herself. I still dream of the day that she will independently sit up from lying down, stand up from sitting on the floor, and feed herself at each meal. Today has reminded me that some day...

Lord, thank you for the precious gift you have given. My heart is filled with overflowing joy when I watch Sara do something new, especially something like what she learned to do today. Thank for that gift.

No comments: