Apr 22, 2009

photo "work"




My neighbor asked me if I would set up a photo booth at her niece's 18th birthday party. After much reservation (due to my lack of confidence and equipment), I agreed. I had only used my very simple backdrop and incandescent lighting once before, for Anna's birthday party, so needless to say, I was pretty worried/stressed out that the photos wouldn't turn out that great. However, my neighbor-who is full of grace-assured me that there were no expectations, just an opportunity for me to gain experience. I ended up having a fun time, though I was totally stressed out because I wasn't sure if the portraits would be in focus because I chose not to use flash and the room was dark (they ended up being OK). So, here are some things that I learned:
1. make a checklist of all the things that I will need so I don't forget anything (luckily, I was able to use one of my extra light stands as a stand-in tripod-who forgets a tripod?? Seriously.)
2. Tape down the backdrop so no one trips on it (add duct tape to the list of things to bring)
3. Add extension cord to list of things to bring
4. Make sure lighting umbrella is not in the shot!! (luckily I was able to crop it out on most shots)
5. Take some practice shots to just make sure lighting and good.

As I continue to experiment with photography, I find that I enjoy natural light much more than studio light. Perhaps because I don't know that much about studio lighting (yet)
6. Learn more about studio lighting this summer (especially flash!)

All this said, I had a good time and may even agree to do it again sometime!

2 comments:

living4him5 said...

Great pics Lori! I wish I had that talent!!

~Amy

Breeanna @ a brilliant melody said...

what kind of camera do you use. I really want to get a digital SLR someday :)