Mar 6, 2011

More Than Good Neighbors

There are good neighbors, great neighbors, then there's our neighbors.  I am so thankful for them for so many reasons, but tonight my gratitude and appreciation for them is overflowing.  My neighbor is a pediatric nurse and I don't know how many times I've turned to her for advice.  There have been several times that I have called her or banged on her door in panic.  When Sara was four months old she got very sick.  In my fear and sadness, Jo stayed with me late at night till Rich got home assuring me that Sara was going to be ok.  She showed me how to feed her tiny bits of water with a syringe so she wouldn't get dehydrated.  

When Sara was 11 months old she was a new walker and she fell from the curb to the street, right on her head.  When I saw the huge bump on her head, I ran to their house completely panicked.   They were home.   Jo didn't panic or seem overly worried when she saw the huge bump.  She helped to calm me down and assured me that Sara was going to be OK.   

When Sara was about 2, she fell in the kitchen and hit her head quite hard.  I took her to Jo's and she looked at Sara and offered to drive me to the ER.  Just like that.  She was going to drop everything to help me.  Thankfully we, didn't end up having to go.  

Tonight I called Jo in total panic once again.  Sara had a severe allergic reaction to a cashew.  I assumed that she was only allergic to peanuts...now she will never eat any kind of nut.  Shortly after she had to cashew in her mouth, she said she didn't like it and she went to spit it out.  Very shortly after that, she started to cry because her "mouth hurt."  My fear grew with the loudness and intensity of her cry and then she started vomiting.  My call to Jo was in panic.  She answered.  I was going to take Sara to the ER and Jo would stay with Anna and Ryan.    After Sara vomited, she seemed to be doing a bit better, but was traumatized that she "choked" on her favorite dress.  I assured her that it would be washed right away, then she started to calm down.  Jo came over with a little bit of allergy medicine and a lot of comfort and assured me that Sara was going to be OK.  

I will need another post to express my appreciation for her husband...my fear has deescalated and now I am exhausted.  What incredible neighbors we have, they are a blessing, more than they know.

Thank you neighbors—we love you guys!

No comments: