Apr 12, 2011

The one hair

I'm almost 36.  Wow.  That's weird.  I still think of myself as a twenty-something or a barely 30-something.  I'm enjoying growing older, I've never had a problem with it.  I welcome each birthday as a blessing.  I'm very glad to be out my twenties, and I could even imagine myself at 40.  But that's it.  For some reason I can't imagine myself past 40 or 42 (of course 10 years ago I couldn't have imagined myself at 36).  Yesterday I found a gray hair on my head and was completely and totally taken off-guard-like somehow I was exempt from aging in that way.  Sure, I'm starting to get a few wrinkles around my eyes, but a gray hair?  Strange.

For some reason I've never imagined myself growing old.  I've at times wondered how I would die (doesn't everybody at one time or another?)  Would it be by accident?  Cancer?  Drive by?  Earthquake?  But old age?  It never crossed my mind.  When I saw the hair (and then pulled it out to inspect and make sure it just wasn't a highlight), I felt very surprised, like, What? Me?  I guess I, too, am but a mortal being.  I don't know why I should be so shocked by that news.  I'm totally OK with it though, because this place and this body are only temporary anyway.  My real and permanent home is on the other side, regardless of when or how I die.  I'm glad I will live forever.

He who was seated on the throne said, “I am making everything new!” Then he said, “Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true."
Revelation 21:5

1 comment:

Macross Kitty said...

I can laugh at this blog entry. I too found my first gray hair too, at age 33? Felt surprised, but thankful that gray haired or not, I'm still "fearfully and wonderfully made."