Apr 9, 2011

This season

I do not consider myself Catholic or Presbyterian or Methodist or Lutheran.  I am a God-follower, walking the trail marked with the blood of Jesus.  Although I don't consider myself as any particular religion, last year I practiced the idea of Lent-I "gave up" chocolate.  In hindsight, there was something beautiful in making such a small sacrifice so I decided to practice Lent again this year-I gave up Facebook.  So far, it has been much more difficult than just giving up chocolate.  I miss my "friends," I miss keeping up with what everyone is doing, and I really miss the practice of "checking Facebook."  There are little things that happen that are funny or "Are you kidding me???"ish that I really want to share, but there is also something compelling about giving it up and taking the time to focus inward and upward during this season.  My goal has been to memorize at least 1 chapter of the Bible, spend regular time in God's Word, and focus on and pray about how I can glorify God through photography.  I also just finished reading End of the Spear (hence my opening statement about Who it is that I follow).  It was an amazing book that touched my heart in a big way.  I'm sure I'll be reading it again and again.

I'm looking forward to Easter for many reasons:  for Christians, it's one of the most celebrated days of the year, a reminder that Jesus is indeed alive well and with us, with me.  I'm also excited because I get to photograph sunrise service, and finally because yes, I will greet Facebook again.

No comments: