Jan 14, 2013

On Cooking

For the last year or two I have thought about blogging about my thoughts/feelings on random things that I carry around in my head.  So, today I'm starting a new label called, "My thoughts on..."  for no reason really, except to paste my thoughts...

I keep thinking about cooking.  I wish I was a good cook.  I want to be a good cook.  There is something creative about it that I crave...but like a huge percentage of things that I create-it just doesn't come out like it is in my head.  I'm successful probably 1/15 times.

Here's my ideal:  I go to the farmer's market (the closest we get to the farmer's market is our local Sprout's market, which is good enough for me)  and Trader Joe's to cook up something thrifty, fairly simple, very whole and nutritious, and very delicious.   My kids come to the table and eat all of their dinner with a comment that goes something like, "Mmmm, mom, this is good."  Maybe my husband might even try it and maybe he'll even like it.

In my head, it's pretty straight forward.  But in reality, it's next to impossible.  It has happened a couple of times and it made me feel great!  It's just so hard to duplicate.  I'm not sure why.  Actually, I am sure why.  My confidence (and my skill) is next to zero in the kitchen.  It has been a place of precious few successes over the last 15 years.  What is it, exactly, that makes a great cook a great cook?  (...by the way...my husband is one of those great cook types of people.  He never over-cooks, or under-cooks.  He's creative.  I'd probably be annoyed or jealous if I didn't truly appreciate his meals so much : ))

Luckily, I'm perseverant.  I'm discouraged today because this weekend I looked forward to making Spanish rice for 2 days, and when I finally had a chance to make it, I had to throw out the whole thing:  I burnt the rice and put some weird seasoning in it that I heard might make it tasty....no.  I'm my easiest and most grace-filled critic, but even I couldn't eat it.

Although I would looove for my kids to say to their kids, "My mom used to make this..."  I'm pretty sure that is not going to happen.  Unless I miraculously become a great cook over the next several years.  Unlikely.  But I will not give up!  I stumbled across a blog called Budget Bytes  that looks promising.  It's my next avenue.  Let's pray for success, shall we?

No comments: